Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mad Elf

I passed a sign today advertising Mad Elf Ale. I couldn't help but notice the neon-blue digital lettering in the gray light of another rainy morning.

I couldn't help wondering if Mad Elf referred to an angry elf or an elf that, well, wasn't quite right in the head.

Then I started contemplating whether the ale was a new North Pole enterprise or if it was being brewed in a more tropical climate like Rivendale.

The ale has to be a product of Rivendale. I can't see Mr. S. Claus being okay with the brewing of an alcoholic beverage on his home turf.

Perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions. Perhaps Mad Elf Ale has nothing to do with alcohol. Perhaps it's a beverage carefully blended to soothe the irrational tendencies of an irritated elf.

That would mean there are elves living among us, otherwise there would be no reason for the sign. Unless of course I wasn't meant to see the sign. Maybe the oppressively humid conditions altered the atmosphere just enough that I was able to see what is ordinarily invisible to the human eye. Sort of like a prism breaks a beam of sunlight into the individual colors of the rainbow.

Or maybe I'm getting cabin fever from days and days of endless rain.

No comments: