Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Meteor Adventure

I meant to check out the Leonid meteor showers early this morning. I had considered setting my alarm a little early so that I would have leisurely viewing time, then decided it wasn't necessary because I'm always up before dawn anyway.

Problem is, I forgot my brain operates on auto-pilot when I first rise. An earlier wake up alarm would have alerted my processors and synapses that something was different about today. Lacking that change in routine, I followed my routine and completely forgot about viewing the heavens.

Meteor showers hold the same fascination for me now as they did in my childhood. There's something about dozens of "shooting stars" slicing across the night sky that encourages my mind to unfold and view the earth, the sky, and the heavens in a different light.

Slouched in an Adirondack chair or lying on a quilted blanket and studying the stars while dew settles on the ground around me, I sense an adventure in the making. For a short while the work-a-day world ceases to exist and a step into another dimension does not seem far fetched at all.

No comments: