Monday, November 9, 2009

Flower of Sleep

First a big thank you to Matt, one of the readers of this blog, for the info he sent about flower extracts and getting a good night's sleep.

Another thank you to my acupuncturist, Gerry, who reminded me about the importance of the primary chakras in the body.

Combining Lavender oil and the Heart Chakra, I am once gain back to nights of seven and eight hours of sleep. A real treat after weeks of tossing and turning.

I didn't realize it at first, but the oil and chakra combination is a double whammy of flower power. Lavender oil is extracted from the Lavender flower and the Heart Chakra, I learned later, is symbolized by a lotus flower.

The info I received from Matt suggested misting my pillow with a lavender scent. I chose to place a few drops of Lavender essential oil (available anyplace that sells aromatherapy supplies) on my chest directly at my Heart Chakra.

The first night I tried this, I found the lavender smell to be rather weak - being as how my chest was buried under a down comforter - so I decided to place a drop of essential oil just below my nostrils as well. I was out within fifteen minutes and slept straight through.

So my advice to anyone dealing with insomnia is: get thee to a supplier of essential oils and let flower power put you to sleep.

No comments: