Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Super size Me

While I was driving today, my progress was interrupted by the descending traffic control gate of a local drawbridge.

This particular bridge crosses the canal that runs between local coastal towns. The canal is a narrow inland waterway that is mostly used by relatively small boats. So the arrival of a yacht or ship large enough to require the opening of the drawbridge brings with it a certain amount of curiosity.

Being fortunate to be near enough to the bridge to see the canal, I craned my neck left and right in an effort to catch a glimpse of the approaching vessel.

The only craft that passed was a rowboat with an outboard engine.

Granted, the captain of this small boat was puffing on a pipe, but I don't think enough smoke was being generated to be mistaken for the exhaust of a smoke stack.

I could only assume the old salt had radioed the bridge operator saying "Hey Jonas, super size me."

And that the bridge operator had accordingly set the gears in motion.

No comments: