Monday, April 20, 2009

Look Out

I have been doing some research on sailing ships for a short story I'm working on.

I needed some information about crows nests. The crows nest is the platform high up on the mast of the ship where lookouts spend their time.

I came across a picture showing the view looking straight down from a crows nest about one hundred and twenty feet above the deck of a ship.

You've got to be kidding me! If I were to be stationed up there the only looking out that would be going on would be the people below me looking out for what I had eaten at my last meal.

I get nauseous just thinking about what it would be like to be perched at that height with a storm rolling in.

I'm imagining clinging to the tip of a pendulum on an inverted clock. Now I see the ship below me, now I see nothing but water, now I see the ship...

Why do I suddenly have a craving for an egg salad sandwich?

No comments: