Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Similar Voices

I was watching a Lindsay Buckingham concert on television over the weekend. Many of us know Lindsay from his days with Fleetwood Mac. The concert that was on over the weekend was Lindsay with his own band.

Lindsay has a rather unique speaking voice. As I listened to him explain the stories behind some of his newer songs I kept thinking Lindsay's voice reminded me of someone else.

It wasn't until the concert was nearly over that I finally figured out that someone else was Red Skelton. Both Lindsay and Red have voices that fall into a unique octave range - and they both speak with a purposeful cadence.

Once I made the connection, I started sifting through my memories of Red's weekly television show. I thought about his characters of Clem Clididdlehopper and Freddy the Freeloader along with some of his pantomime skits.

We need a resurrection of those kind of television shows. I think we would all trade a quality variety show for wondering which of the people on a deserted island will be the first to eat red fire ants.

No comments: