Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Modern Jack

I've been following the news about the pirates who hijacked an American ship and took the ship's captain hostage.

I'm thinking that the leader of that particular band of pirates must be a modern day Jack Sparrow.

For those of you not familiar with Jack Sparrow, he is the pirate captain played by Johnny Depp in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Somehow Captain Sparrow's plans always fall short of expectations.

So who else but a modern day Jack Sparrow sets out to hijack a ship without enough fuel in his own boat to get back home?

When I heard other pirate ships were moving into the area, I pictured a floating rum party with the other pirates guffawing at the captain who was now adrift.

It is not my intention to belittle the events. I think the crew and captain of the American ship were incredibly brave and I'm glad things worked out well.

I just had to wonder at the "little pirate that couldn't".

No comments: