Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April Waters

I have decided there's no time like the present to be bold and foolish. After all, we're soon all going to be living in cardboard boxes, wrapped in layers of blankets as we succumb to the swine flu.

So this weekend I did the previously unthinkable. I went for a quick April dip in the ocean.

I spent Sunday on the beach. The air temperature was in the nineties which made the ocean look particularly inviting. I knew the water could be no more than fifty five degrees but with Sahara winds sapping moisture from my body I steeled myself for immersion.

I probably could have stayed in longer than I did. It was no more than three minutes before I was numb from the waist down. Another three minutes and I could have been happily diving through breakers without a care in the world. The responsible part of my brain insisted there was that whole breathing thing to be concerned about, so before my mind slid behind a numbing fog I stumbled back out to shore.

I'm looking forward to May. Swimming should be a snap.

No comments: