Friday, April 24, 2009

Barber Talk

I was at the barber shop today. I and the gentleman in the chair next to me were faced with the same dilemma. How to describe the way we wanted out hair to look when the barber was finished.

Lacking a micrometer or ruler, we were unable to define the exact length we wanted our hair to be. The best we could come up with was terms like: neat, short but not too short, squared off in the back, almost but not quite a crew cut, etc.

As a collective group, the barbers and customers decided a list of names needed to assigned different final results. The even all over, the get it off my ears, the heavy on the top, etc.

I don't know, somehow I think that still leaves too many variables. Heavy on top for Jimi Hendrix would come out looking a whole lot different that a similarly described result for Sean Connery.

Maybe barbers just need to start keeping slide rules in their shops.

No comments: