Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hovering Hawk

I was watching a hawk in the sky today. What caught my attention was the bird furiously flapping his wings but going nowhere. He was simply hovering.

It was very windy here today and the hawk was flying headlong into the wind, flapping his wings just enough to keep from being blown backward. The bird hovered directly overhead for what had to be over a minute. I was hoping the hawk didn't have to - well, you know- because I was at ground zero.

A subtle change in the position of its wings sent the hawk spiraling upward. No longer flapping its wings, the hawk glided on the air currents.

I was thinking that had to be the most peaceful experience in the world when I realized I had enjoyed a similar experience a few years back when I went parasailing.

Parasailing was one of the most peaceful experiences I've ever had. Wind rushing past my ears, blocking out all other sounds, as I sat beneath a parachute and scanned the ocean and shore for miles around.

Ah, to have the opportunity to do that on a daily basis. I wonder if the hawk appreciates the gift it was given.

No comments: