Sunday, April 19, 2009

Mother Goose

Now I know why there is no mention of Mr. Goose in the Mother Goose nursery rhymes.

Mother Goose sent him packing.

At least she should have if her mister was anything like the Mr. Goose hanging out at the pond near our house.

I was working outside this morning when I heard such goose racket that I just had to spring from my knees and see what was the matter.

Mr. Goose was distraught - no, infuriated - that Mrs. Goose had gone wandering too far from the nesting grounds. He honked angrily and mercilessly until his betrothed made an about face. Even then he hounded her every step, honking out continual chastisements, until he was satisfied Mrs. Goose understood her place.

Being the good companion, Mrs. Goose returned home and settled back down - until Mr. Goose fell asleep. Whereupon Mrs. Goose made a stealthy escape, leaving her insignificant other snoring in ignorance.

No comments: