Monday, February 2, 2009

You Can Leave But...

This past weekend Motivated Mom and I traveled upstate to help my mother prepare for her upcoming move to our place.

By the way, I've decided that my mother's blog name will be Queen B. (Note to Motivated Mom - the Queen B name in no way implies household ruling authority.)

I'm using Queen as a synonym for Matriarch and B comes from years past. When I was a kid, my Great Aunt referred to our family as the four B's because there were four of us and each of our names started with the letter B. For many years my Great Aunt had been the family matriarch by virtue of both age and disposition. So now the torch is handed on.

Anyway, I was trying to help Queen B submit a change of address on line - and encountered one of the many limits of technology.

The USPS website would not accept the change of address. We both tried entering the required information several times over, only to receive error messages.

The words of the song Hotel California came to mind - just in reverse order.

You can leave anytime you want, but you can never check out.

We finally deduced the problem was a software limitation and reverted to the tried and true method - picking up a change of address form at the local post office.

No comments: