Thursday, February 26, 2009

If I Knew

Motivated Mom has been helping me with a computer project.

The happy couple that we are, we've been sitting side by side at my desk sharing quality computer time.

Motivated Mom and I have radically different approaches to computer work. I'm a firm believer there is a definite need for books like Word 2oo7 for Dummies, while Motivated Mom prefers to just start selecting options to see where they take her.

So when another obligation pulled Motivated Mom from my side, I plaintively said, Wait, where are you going? If I knew what I was doing, I'd have this done by now.

Calling back over her shoulder Motivated Mom assured me that having been right there through this much of the process, I could easily bring it to conclusion.

Yeah right. Computers and I get along great as long as I'm driving. But if one of those annoying error message windows pops up on my screen I'm heading directly for the reference book to avoid my project crashing into the recycle bin.

Sure enough, seconds after Motivated Mom had left the room, a message window brought progress to a screeching halt. And because things had come this far through a combination of male methodical planning and female whimsical option jumping, I was lost.

The error message waited patiently for my response.

Just GO AWAY, I thought. If I knew what I was doing I'd have been done by now.

Did the DELETE button just wink at me?


No comments: