Friday, February 27, 2009

Slinky for the Garden

I took advantage of the incredibly mild temperatures today and did some yard work.

I was putting in garden edging. You're probably familiar with the stuff. A coil of black plastic material about five inches wide and twenty feet long. It's the stuff the designers of slinky came up with to keep adults entertained.

Well, maybe entertained isn't quite the right word. However the garden edging did hold my attention for a long time. I couldn't afford to divert my attention less the devious material wrap itself around my ankles and sent my toppling to the ground.

With all the things around that never want to go back in their original carton or return to their original shape once they're opened, I'm sure garden edging had to be specifically designed to keep springing back into a coil.

I tried bending the stuff backwards, anchoring one end in place with a bucket of dirt, beating the stuff with a sledge hammer. Repeatedly the end of the edging furthest away came springing back to crack me in the legs - or other parts of my anatomy.

Next time I think I'll borrow a set of leg guards like baseball catchers wear.

No comments: