Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Westward,,, err Never Mind

I woke to the sound of rainwater gurgling in the downspouts and for once didn't have the urge to pull the covers back over my head.

Well, okay, I had the urge, but at this time of year rain is cause for elation when the alternative is considered.

I was fortunate that my job obligations today kept me in the southern end of the state as more northern climes were not sharing in the 48 degree weather mother nature had gifted my area with.

While on the road and listening to the radio announcers run down the list of closings in the ice covered areas to the north I got to thinking about the early settlers who might have loaded supplies into their wagon trains in warm weather only to encounter snow covered mountains on their journey.

And it occurred to me that I'm surprised all the lowlands to the east of the Appalachians are not one continuous metropolis.  Because had I been leading one of those wagon trains and seen  frozen peaks ahead, I would have been shouting commands to turn around and be thankful for what we have.

No comments: