Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Toasting Buns

The thing I love about houses and buildings heated by hot water is that even on the coldest days you can toast your buns on the radiators.

Just now I have the happy problem of a broken thermostat on the radiator in my office. A happy problem because the thermostat is stuck on the highest setting, so my office is somewhere around eight-five degrees.

And while eighty-five can feel a little warm when dressed in a shirt and tie, I'll gladly take it over what Mother Nature is currently serving up.

I can't help but wonder why civilization ever moved away from radiator heat. It has none of the hot and cold cycles associated with forced hot air and, as already mentioned, you can cook a meal - or yourself - at any time of day.

If we could just figure out a way to heat the lakes, rivers, and reservoirs, we could pump the heated water through our houses, route the water back out to the land, and be "greener" all around.

No comments: