Sunday, January 16, 2011

January Deceits

It's that time of year when my home begins to feel like a fun house.

Walls seem to close in, ceilings seem to lower, and suddenly it seems my shoulders are brushing the sides of doorways that just weeks ago were more than sufficient in width. It's the claustrophobia that comes from day after day after day of sub-freezing weather keeping me indoors.

So when inviting sunlight spilled through the windows this morning, I decided it was time for an outdoor activity. A simple walk around the block would be a welcome diversion. 

After a hot breakfast and hot shower I layered on clothing and squeezed through the front door. Had the door frame turned from a rectangle to a parallelogram?  Was I really going to need to stoop to clear the threshold?

Once outside, the golden light proved false. There was no warmth to be found in the glow. My excursion lasted only long enough to make it to the bottom of the front steps and back.

Thankfully I had the option of the glow from coals in fireplace.

No comments: