Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Return of Mario

We have a Wii in our house. I continue to be amazed by how far video games have come and frequently think back to the very first video game we owned - the original Playstation. We had two games for it - Duck Hunt and Super Mario Brothers.

I had no interest in the Playstation when we first installed it (Motivated Mom was the one who had wanted it) but I soon joined the ranks of the addicted.

I lost interest as the games and the consoles that powered them evolved. I had too many other interests to invest the time in developing the dexterity required to push the A button while simultaneously holding down the X button and depressing the right arrow key. - Something akin to rubbing my stomach while patting my head or walking and chewing gum.

So I was pleasantly surprised when College Dude and Language Lass gifted Motivated Mom and I with Super Mario Brothers for the Wii.

At last, I thought, back to the basics.

Well, not exactly just basics as it turns out.

But it is pretty cool that Body English counts for something now. Motivated Mom used to poke fun at me for moving the controller this way and that back in the 80's. Now twisting and shaking the controller causes scaffolding to tilt and Mario to fly.

I just might find myself addicted all over again.

No comments: