Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Parental Translation

It happened again, one of those spontaneous memories of past events.

I was doing some drywall work today and had music playing - because you have to have music when doing something as tedious as finishing drywall.

The song Do You Remember by Jack Johnson started playing and suddenly I was sitting in an auditorium at the University of Pittsburgh. College Dude was on stage giving his first solo performance with nothing but a microphone and a guitar.

I'm sure I was more nervous than he. I would never have had the nerve to get up on stage like that - even if I could carry a tune.

After a couple of songs College Dude asked how he was doing time wise.

Three more came the response.

Three? College Dude asked.

Whereupon I shouted out three more songs, only to be corrected by multiple persons that the three was three more minutes.

Hey, when it's your son on stage looking for direction and that direction comes in a vague three more, of course the parental translation is three more songs.

I would have argued against the folks saying minutes, but I try to avoid being an embarrassment to my children.

No comments: