Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Appreciation Day

Yesterday was bubble wrap appreciation day. It was also the 50th birthday of bubble wrap. I was so busy celebrating that I completely forgot to post a blog entry.

According to the NBC World News the inventor of bubble wrap got the idea for the product while in a plane. He looked down on the puffy tops of the clouds and was struck with the idea for protective packaging.

Weird guy.

I look out the window of a 737 and imagine mountain chains formed from cotton balls or virgin white islands floating in the sky. Never have I looked upon the puffy formations and wondered what would happen if I grabbed a handful to stuff in a box.

If I had happened to wonder about clouds and insulation, my musings would have been more likely to lead to the invention of the Styrofoam peanut. But bubble wrap? I just don't get the connection.

Maybe charcoal briquettes would have spurred my creative juices - you know, wondering what would happen if one of those briquettes was to be filled it with air.

No comments: