Thursday, January 28, 2010

Curious Sleigh

The only way I can describe it is to say it looked like a cross between a dog sled and a miniature version of Santa's sleigh.

The contraption was attached to the top of a minivan. The runners of the sleigh, sled, or whatever were strapped into a pair of half round PVC tubes.

What, I wondered, was the owner of the miniature sleigh intending to do with the curiously designed mode of transport. Had I been in a northern state I might have assumed there was a pack of dogs waiting to be hitched. If the the north pole had been in sight I might have believed there were nine miniature reindeer waiting to make a test run.

But what use would anyone in southern Delaware have for a sleigh?

I checked the license plate of the van thinking it was perhaps registered in a northern clime. No, the van bore tags from Georgia where people have no more need of a dogsled than the folks at the Delaware shore.

So what function could the contraption possibly serve?

Realizing I had become so lost in thought that I was drifting out of my lane, I returned my total attention to the roadway that was disappearing beneath the tires of my car at sixty-five miles an hour.

And the case of the curious sleigh went unsolved.

No comments: