Friday, January 22, 2010

Jammin'

I was out and about in the car this evening with Media Girl and one of her girl friends.

Media Girl and I do not have the same taste in music. I like classic rock: Beatles, Genesis, Yes, Fleetwood Mac, etc. Media Girl thrives on rap and country rock.

So when the suggestion was made that we hook the friend's Ipod to the car's stereo system I agreed with grave reservations - and was pleasantly surprised to hear a Led Zeppelin song.

At our destination, we sat in the car while we waited for Motivated Mom to meet us. The music continued while we waited and I thought back to numerous Friday nights when, as a teenager, I would ride around in a car with friends listening to the same music I was currently enjoying.

Do you like Pink Floyd, the friend asked.

Oh bless the girl, a true aficionado of quality music.

Comfortably Numb poured forth from the speakers. I increased the volume, positioned myself to play a mean set of air drums, and did my best to do justice to the vocals.

Pulling her hood up over her head and making small moaning noises, Media Girl tried to fold herself down onto the floor of the car.

What? I asked between verses.

My dad is jammin', she moaned

I smiled as my foot pounded on the air pedal of the air bass drum. Yes, I was jammin'. And it felt damn good.

No comments: