Thursday, January 21, 2010

Inverted Minature

The world is full of things that make me go hmmmm. Many times those quirky little things command my attention for no more than a nanosecond - gone from my consciousness almost as quickly as they arrive.

But there's a specific thing that has caught my eye several times of late so I guess it's time to do some serious pondering.

When I stand close to a magnifying mirror I see my image roughly twenty times normal size, but when I take a few diagonal steps back away from the mirror I see the room reflected smaller rather than larger. Even more of a puzzle then the reverse magnification is the reflected image being inverted (upside down) from the actual.

Why should that be? Shouldn't a magnifying mirror magnify regardless of my proximity? And what's with that whole upside down thing? A regular mirror doesn't invert images - or does it?

Is it possible that a regular mirror switches right from left? No, couldn't be. If I place my right hand inches from a mirror the reflected hand lines up exactly. And if I back up, the raised hand remains on the same side of the reflection. At least I think it does. Unless my mind is compensating - causing me to believe I'm seeing the reflection other than the way it truly appears. Could that be possible?

Yaagghh, I just know the idea of my mind betraying me is going to keep me up tonight.

No comments: