Sunday, January 24, 2010

Playoff Health Risk

I enjoy watching football though I generally only watch the second half of a game. I have trouble putting up with two hours of commercials to see one hour of football. Ultimately the last two quarters are the deciding parts of the game, so that's where I place my focus.

During the playoffs I make an exception and watch the entire game - especially when the Colts are playing - though I confess I generally run out of the room between quarters and during half time to take care of miscellaneous chores.

Today's game between the Colts and Jets was an exciting back and forth struggle. Exciting - but bad for my health. My breathing was rapid and shallow, my palms were sweaty, and my pulse was pounding. If I had walked into my doctor's office for an annual physical in that condition I would no doubt have been rushed directly to the hospital.

Which makes me wonder how many people keel over from a heart attack while watching sports.

It also makes me wonder why we have not yet been subjected to a warning from the Surgeon General at the beginning of crucial games.

No comments: