Thursday, July 30, 2009

Count If There's Time

I don't know it to be a fact, but I've heard it from enough different sources to believe there must be some truth in it.

As a thunderstorm approaches, you can tell how far away the lightning is striking by counting.

Start counting off one second intervals the moment you see the lightning flash and continue counting until the rumble of thunder reaches your ears. Divide the total elapsed seconds by 7 to determine how many miles from you the lightning is striking.

Of course if there's not enough time to count, then the lightning is pretty darn close.

That's what happened last night as I was setting the table for dinner.

I picked up on the flash of lightning from the corner of my eye. At the exact same instant there was a crack like the jolly green giant had just broken a tree size bat on a foul ball. The lights flickered, the HVAC went out, and my feet left the floor. All within a millisecond.

The shock was all the more intense for being caught completely off guard. Usually there is the warning of distant rumbling as a thunderstorm approaches. Not so last night. Our back yard was ground zero for the very first lightning bolt.

I was thankful I wasn't serving soup or I would have ended up at the nearest burn center.

No comments: