Thursday, July 23, 2009

Moving Trash

I paid a visit to the local landfill today in order to get rid of some material from a project I've been working on.

I chose the tailgate unload option - meaning I drove to the highest point in Sussex county (which happens to be on top of a seven acre mountain of trash) and pushed my own trash out of the back of the truck.

Earth movers the size of a two bedroom house were operating all around me. I was hoping my truck wasn't going to be mistaken for scrap steel needing to be buried beneath tons of decomposing material.

I watched the drivers of these enormous vehicles and thought - you can get paid for that?

When I was kindergarten age, I used to pass afternoon hours practicing parking my pedal powered cars perfectly perpendicular to the wall of the house.

If I had known there was a career based on moving vehicles back and forth - back and forth - back and forth, I might well have chosen a different career path.

No comments: