Monday, July 20, 2009

Inspection Anxiety

What is about pulling into a vehicle inspection lane at the Department of Motor Vehicles that sends blood pressure and anxiety levels rocketing?

My car is getting up there in mileage. Knowing that inspection and registration renewal were coming up, I had taken the car to a mechanic a few weeks back in order to head off any unpleasant surprises at the inspection lanes.

Still, a lot can happen in a month so just before heading out I had Media Girl help me out with one last pre-trip inspection. Headlights? Check. Turn signals? Check. Horn? Check.

So why was I hyperventilating as I approached the number one position in the waiting line? What deficiency could the inspection reveal after my thorough preparation?

Then the car in front of me advanced and I was face to face with the DMV inspector who held my fate in his hands.

As the inspector studied my paperwork, I nonchalantly studied the fabric on the passenger seat and the dust on the dashboard. I considered whistling a jaunty tune to show how unconcerned I was, but nixed the idea just before pursing my lips.

The inspector called for me to turn on the right turn signal and I activated the windshield wipers instead. Cool demeanor gone, I pushed two different levers before I finally turned on the left turn signal. I was going down in flames.

Then it was on to the brake test. Here I considered complementing the inspector on how minimal the sweat stains on his shirt were for such a hot day. Again rational thought kicked in just in time to save me from embarrassment.

And then I was handed my certificate showing my vehicle had passed inspection.

I knew everything would be fine.

No comments: