Monday, July 27, 2009

Oz Weather

I was concerned that I was going to wake up this morning and find that I wasn't in Delaware anymore. The way storms were rolling through the area, I was thinking I had better brush up on the political hierarchy in the Land of Oz.

Following the most severe of yesterday's evening storms, the clouds thinned enough to allow a tainted green light to set everything aglow. I dared to venture outside and found a solid cloud mass still lingered directly above our house.

The heavy clouds of gray and purple boiled and twisted as though trying to tie themselves in a quarter mile knot. As I watched, the knot slipped loose and the clouds spun into a circle that elongated into a horn resembling the cornucopia centerpiece on a Thanksgiving table.

The birds that had started cautiously chirping with the cessation of the rain grew quiet again. The winds slowed to a breeze, then died to nothing.

I, and the world around me, waited in silence as the center of the threatening cloud bank widened like the maw of a horrific creature.

Losing my nerve, I ran back for the shelter of the house.

No comments: