Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cats and Dining

Our two tabby cats seem to consider themselves direct descendants of Mufasa, king of the lions. It is the hunting prowess of our cats that has brought me to this conclusion.

Beginning in late spring and continuing into early fall, our cats strive to outperform one another with the gifts they bring us.

Because we have a pet door that allows the cats to come and go as they please, our mornings frequently start with the discovery of partially devoured animals - rabbits, bats, mice, birds - in various locations of the house.

This morning I discovered that our cats have been paying attention to our dining habits and have learned that good etiquette means eating at the dining table.

Stumbling about in the early dawn light, I was preparing the table for the morning meal when I detected an oily substance on the table top. A discomforting suspicion gnawed at me. I flicked on some additional lighting and discovered the cats had used the table for their own dining.

Before others in the household awoke, I rushed for a bottle of antibacterial cleanser. A generous application of the cleanser quickly got rid of the red tinted smears and matted strands of fur.

With the table returned to pristine appearance, the potatoes sizzling on the stove lost the imagined smell of roasting game and I thought perhaps my stomach would settle enough to allow me to keep breakfast down - until I spotted a gelatinous eyeball nestled within the carpet strands near my foot.

No comments: