Saturday, June 20, 2009

Viewfinder weather

This evening's weather had me thinking I was looking through a viewfinder rather than staring out my living room window.

Ten minutes of thunder, lightning, and rain was followed by five minutes of sunshine. The sunshine lasted long enough for a wispy rainbow to form, then another ten minutes of stormy weather rolled in. The cycle repeated itself again and again for nearly two hours.

I imagined one of those viewfinder disks. You know, that piece of round white cardboard holding a dozen pieces of film. The disk drops into a plastic viewfinder housing with two extended eye pieces. Depressing a lever on the right sight of the viewfinder causes the cardboard disk to advance from one picture to the next.

Think of one of those disks containing photographs of a storm. The pictures would cycle from clouds, to lightning, to rain, to sunshine, to rainbows, and back around to clouds again.

Just as today's weather was doing.

Had I stepped outside my house, I would not have been surprised to find my windows were not mere pieces of glass, but twin projections resembling a pair of binoculars. Nor would I have been surprised to discover a rotating disk the size of a Ferris wheel circling past those projections.

No comments: