Thursday, June 25, 2009

Phones and Heroes

I was navigating the highways and byways yesterday when a informational sign for a roadside pay phone caused me to do a double take.

I can remember when neither a phone booth nor a blue sign showing a white telephone handset would have made the slightest impact on me. Both used to be a as commonplace as the Walk and Don't Walk signs at the intersections of city streets.

It occurred to me that while pay phones have become few and far between, an actual phone booth is now as rare as an Indian head penny.

And I got to wondering - what would Clark Kent do today? Without a phone booth to slip into how would the mild mannered reporter morph into heroic Superman?

I was on the verge of despair - fearful that Superman would fly no more - when hope arrived in the realization that synergy could yet save the day. Clark could use a cell phone to summon a Transformer. The Transformer could shift into a rolling phone booth, and Superman could still come to our rescue.

No comments: