Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Searching for a Bagel

One of my favorite morning treats is a toasted pumpernickel bagel slathered with cream cheese.

Living near a resort area, I'd think pumpernickel bagels would be readily available. Not so.

Oh sure, there are dozens of bagel shops in the area. And those dozens of shops offer a wide assortment - onion, egg, plain, cinnamon raisin, spinach, everything, rye, poppy seed - the list goes on.

So why isn't there a place of honor for pumpernickel?

My search has been just as fruitless in the grocery stores. I don't get it. There are reserved slots for both fresh baked and packaged pumpernickel bread in every store. So why not bagels?

I was considering starting a one man picket line when I stumbled across a shop offering the elusive pumpernickel. Alas, the bin was empty.

I'm going to have to set my alarm extra early tomorrow, beat the breakfast rush, and stock up on that dark grained taste treat.

Hmmm.. I guess I better get some fresh cream cheese too. The stuff in the refrigerator has probably turned an interesting color by now.

No comments: