Friday, January 2, 2009

Surviving the Common Cold

I've had a monster of a head cold for the past few days. The unwelcome germ made itself known Sunday evening and by Monday afternoon I was wishing I could exchange my head for a lighter one.

As soon as the Monday workday was finished I rushed home and immediately went to work on making a BIG pot of chicken vegetable soup. Homemade chicken soup is a must have when the evil head cold rolls into town.

I have to say that this latest batch of health restoring elixir was by far my best work in years. The steam rising from the pot and carrying the mixed aromas of simmering chicken stock, celery, onion, pepper, potatoes, mushrooms, and carrots soon had my nose opened enough that life sustaining oxygen was again able to fill my lungs.

A belly full of warm liquid soon had my eyelids drooping and I headed for bed to snuggle under the goose down comforter.

Alas, a nose that had closed back up and a throat that felt alarmingly like sandpaper kept sleep at bay. Midnight rolled around and I feared I would get no sleep at all.

Thankfully I remembered there is one doctor who still makes house calls twenty-four hours a day. With hope in sight, I padded out into the dining room to consult with Dr. Cuervo. I was soon on a first name basis with the good doctor. Jose encouraged me to stop back any time.

With that reassurance, I returned to my nest of a bed and finally drifted off to sleep.

Five nights of soup, hot showers, and Dr. Cuervo's golden syrup finally has me feeling that the end of coughing, blowing, and sneezing just might be in sight.

No comments: