Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Slow Cold

People drive slower in the cold weather. I've made that observation over the past few days.

I'm not talking about snowy or icy conditions when people drive just plain stupid. I'm referring to ordinary cold weather.

I've been trying to figure out the underlying cause for slow motoring when temperatures drop below the mid twenties. Perhaps the drivers are shivering so hard that they can't keep consistent pressure on the gas pedal. Or perhaps it is because the inside of the car is warm enough that drivers have finally stopped shivering and are in no hurry to reach their destination where they will have to get back out into the cold.

Then again maybe the cause is brain numbness. Goodness knows my brain functions decrease exponentially with every ten degree drop below sixty. At eighteen degrees the only thought I am able to hang onto is Nnnneeeeeedddd wwwwaaaaarrrrrmmmmm nnnnnoooowwwww.

I say let's bypass the totally electric car and go directly to thermonuclear engines. Seems to me that by the time the ignition key was turned and the transmission put in gear, the interior of the car could be approaching ninety degrees.

No comments: