Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sure Footed Cats

Above our kitchen sink we have a pass-through into the family room. The ledge of the pass-through is decorated with small vases and bowls filled with sea shells. I was just watching one of our cats work it's way across the ledge.

Between the glass containers there is exactly enough room for a cat's paw - as long as that paw is descending and rising in an absolutely vertical motion.

So now picture a cat with all four paws placed precisely between the vases and bowls.

One leg and paw at a time, the cat lifted and dropped each paw precisely between the next pair of glass containers.

How in the heck did the cat, Ginger, even know where to put her hind feet? Ginger wasn't looking over her shoulder after each move. How could she possibly know the safe locations for her feet?

Guaranteed if I tried to pass something through the opening the cuff of my shirt sleeve would catch at least one container and start a domino effect. Yet here's this feline picking her way through the maze like she's strolling through the back yard.

When she saw me watching, Ginger stopped and fixed me with a daring stare. Go ahead, yell at me to get down, frighten me with a loud command, make me jump, we'll see how far I can scatter all of these nick knacks.

I decided to leave the room.

No comments: