Thursday, January 8, 2009

It's All Good

As I've grown older, I've had to adjust my diet to stay ahead of reoccurring health issues.
Gone from my diet are breads, most meats, sugars, dairy products, pastas, and caffeine.

People sometimes ask me My gosh, what do you eat then? And I can understand their reaction because when I first reviewed what was left to build my meals around I was in something of a panic.

But I've discovered that from fruits, nuts, vegetables, poultry, and fish it is possible to build a truly satisfying diet. In truth, it does require a little more planning and effort but the results generally have me wondering why I haven't been eating like this all of my life.

Diet is on my mind tonight because on the way home from work I decided I wanted something quick for dinner. I wasn't in the mood for extensive meal preparation.

Subs, cheese steaks, pizzas and such are no longer an option, and places like McDonald's and Burger King are definitely enemy territory now. So I swung into the grocery store for one of those melts-in-your-mouth rotisserie chickens.

When I got home, thanks to the microwave, a baked potato was ready in just nine minutes, and a blend of frozen peas, broccoli, and carrots in another four. While they were cooking I was slicing the chicken - so dinner was ready in less than fifteen minutes.

On a damp, cold night what's not to love about a roast chicken dinner?

No comments: