Saturday, January 17, 2009

Shock Surprise

It is cold enough outside that the heater has been working overtime maintaining a comfortable temperature inside the house.

The result - dry air and static electricity waiting to issue a surprise shock at every turn.

Reach for a light switch and - zap- the startling surprise of a static shock. A shock that feels twenty times worse than it really is because of the element of surprise.

After that first surprise jolt, I spend the next few minutes making quick jabs or arching swings at metal objects - as though I might somehow sneak up on them unawares. In reality, all I accomplish is making a simple act take four times longer - and I still get zapped.

It doesn't take long before thoughts of possible danger are pushed to the back of my mind. I'm quickly re-focused on whatever chore is at hand. And then - zap - damn! - it strikes again.

Actually it's so dry in the house right now that just picking up a metal object from the carpet is good for a bonus zap.

Since I'm moving furniture around right now the dangers are everywhere.

Back into the doorknob - zap. Take a lamp off the end table - zap. Pick up a screwdriver - zap.

After an hour of furniture moving, my body temperature was rising and I removed the sweater I was wearing. Then, despite the warning rapid fire pops of a building static charge, I reached out to take something from Motivated Mom's hand. ZAPZAP!! - a megawatt double whammy that nearly sent both of us tripping backward.

I wonder if tying clothes dryer sheets around my feet will help.

No comments: