Thursday, January 1, 2009

College Dude and the Job

College Dude starts his first engineering job next week. He will be co-oping (work for a semester, go to classes for a semester, work for a semester, etc.)

College Dude is hitting the ground running with a middle management position. He will be a team leader for a firm that does engineering design work for the railroads.

I'm a little envious. College Dude's work day doesn't start until 9:00 and he'll be bringing home a paycheck that I only dreamed of at his age. In fact, I'm still dreaming of it.

There's the whole jacket and tie thing though. Somehow I never pictured College Dude heading off to work in "formal" professional attire. An open neck sport shirt maybe, but never a jacket and tie.

I wonder why? Maybe because I just always visualized him in jeans, sneakers, and t-shirts with a guitar constantly within easy reach.

This whole professional businessman thing is a big step - kind of like getting on the bus for the beginning of first grade.

I won't be there to see him off, but my proud thoughts of encouragement will still go with him.

No comments: