Sunday, January 18, 2009

From the Other Side

We've all been teenagers at one point in our lives.

And as teenagers, at least once we all stood dumbfounded while our parents ranted at us in a manner that we considered to be totally out or proportion to whatever offense we had committed.

(If you're going to tell me you were never violated a house rule as a teenager, then I contend you are an alien who recently hatched from a giant pea pod.)

Now, as a parent, I'm on the other side of the ranting fence. Suddenly I find the phrase you're grounded for life to be a completely logical response to something my child has done.

If you think for one minute that (fill in the blank) than you have another think coming

has also sounded completely logical sometimes.

Surely I am not seriously contemplating regurgitating these time honored words.

In point of fact (don't tell your kids this) these phrases tend to pop up when, as parents, we are so angry about something our minds cease to be able to form intelligent sentences.

Motivated Mom and I came up with a way to keep these phrases out of our vocabulary.

I'll tell you about that in a future posting.

No comments: