Wednesday, September 1, 2010

When Different Isn't

I don't remember exactly when the changed appearance of the silo ceased to catch my attention.

No, I'm not talking about a silo housing a nuclear missile. Nor is the silo even a steel cylinder.

The brick tower used for storing corn silage is just that - a tower. It would not look the least bit out of place if it stood at the corner of an English castle. That is, it used to look that way...

...Until the night traffic was brought to a halt as firemen fought the inferno blazing within the brick column. Having consumed the wooden roof, red and orange flames licked hungrily for the sky despite the hundreds of gallons of water flowing through fire hoses.

The following day the silo was a blackened, burned out corpse. For weeks every time I passed the silo my eyes were drawn to its forever changed appearance.

At some point the transformation ceased to be an attention grabber. At some point I no longer gave a second thought to the tower's state of decay.

Only now, five years past the night I watched dozens of fireman battle flames, am I wondering exactly when an open topped, smoke stained structure came to be what I expected to see.

No comments: