Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Gift Rabbit

You should never look a gift horse in the mouth.

But should you look a gift rabbit in the eye?

I did just that in the wee hours of the morning.

Having turned on the light, I found myself looking at a gift that had been lovingly presented by our cat, Ginger.

The gift, as you have no doubt surmised, was a rabbit. And I was able to look the rabbit in the eye because it was stone cold.... er, ah, oven warm dead. That is to say the rabbit was obviously a fresh kill.

Now I know that I was supposed to ooh and ah in order to let Ginger know how much I appreciated the gift, but at 5:00 a.m. it was all I could do to summon the energy to scoop the deceased critter into a bag and toss it in the trash.

After which Ginger stared accusingly in My eye.

No comments: