Sunday, September 26, 2010

Opposite Views

Many is the time I've been startled after waking from a nap on the beach. Startled to find the sun setting, startled to find the tide having advanced to within inches of my chair, startled to find the empty beach I had fallen asleep on now packed with fellow beach goers.

None of those compares with waking to find a wedding in progress.

The sound of the surf which had lulled me to sleep had obviously also blotted out the sound of chairs being opened, canopies being raised, and podiums being erected.

Rubbing my eyes I noticed the sun worshipers who had spent the day on the beach had turned their chairs to face the outdoor event.

So strange to watch folks in bikinis and swim trunks stare at folks in formal dress, while those in dresses and tuxedos stared back at the barely clad.

I wondered which group was most enjoying the show.

No comments: