Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Return to Post-Summer

The signs of post-summer are popping up everywhere.

(For those of you who are new readers, when I moved to the beach area I took the liberty of renaming the seasons of the year. The four seasons as I now know them are pre-summer, summer, post-summer and Christmas.)

Morning dew on car windshields, hay bales and dried corn stalks decorating front porches, and mums blooming in all of their flower button glory all announce the change of season.

Motivated Mom has hung Indian corn on the front door and decorated the mantle with strings of colored leaves.

This time of year used to leave me down in the dumps. I would begin thinking of the dark evenings and barren trees soon to come.

I'm taking it all with quiet acceptance this time around. Just another shift in the unstoppable march of time. Soon enough I'll be announcing the arrival of pre-summer and all will be right with the world.

No comments: