Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Multiplying Flies

Fruit flies must be the fastest reproducing insect in this world.

Somehow I manage to forget that from one year to the next.

There is always a basket of fresh fruit sitting on the counter in our kitchen. The basket is laden with whatever fruit is in season along with the ever present bananas.

Every year about this time three or four fruit flies appear. And every year my memory fails me. So I fail to react to that first insurgence. I neglect to immediately move the fruit to the refrigerator - to cut off the food source.

It only takes a day for four fruit flies to multiply exponentially.

So every year about this time, I reach for a piece of fruit and stagger backwards as a tornado of insects rise in a spinning mass from that treat I was about to consume.

...And since the annoying little buggers continue to multiply exponentially, I battle with the things for weeks on end.

No comments: