Friday, September 11, 2009

Early Morning Demons

I looked out my window this morning expecting to find I wasn't in Delaware anymore. I was certain my house had been sent spinning through the sky while I slept and had landed in some locale where logic did not apply.

That was the way it sounded in the early morning hours. A combination of driving rain and howling wind had me wondering what the wind shear rating was for the nails that held the shingles to the roof and siding to the walls.

The sound of rain pounding horizontally on the wall behind my headboard woke me somewhere around 4:00 a.m. Lightning flashed, thunder boomed, and a thousand demons shrieked outside my bedroom window. Well, okay maybe a hundred.

It's usually on a cold winter's night that I am grateful for the warm blankets layered on my bed. Last night I was grateful for warm blankets, sturdy roof, and solid foundation.

No comments: