Monday, September 7, 2009

Parting and Promises

College Dude headed back to Pittsburgh today. Parting with my son at the end of a visit is always a difficult time for me - though I get better at dealing with it as time goes on. I always find myself feeling like we should have talked more, should have done more things together, etc.

Usually our visits are exactly what they need to be, a periodic opportunity to acknowledge our continuing love for one another (an enormous gift really). Sometimes we truly do have too little time together and I am left bemoaning the geographic distance between us. Occasionally we are together long enough that I am reminded why it is that children go off to lead lives of their own.

This past visit was better than too short and less than too long. We had the opportunity to banter over margaritas, briefly discuss work and school, enjoy a day at the beach, and simply be around one another. I could almost say, in the words of Goldilocks, it was just right.

And yet that desire to have had just one extra hour still lingers.

I guess that's a good thing really. It has me looking forward to the promise of another visit, another opportunity for companionship.

Lest I leave her feeling like the odd person out, I must make a point here of saying that I also enjoy the opportunity to visit with Language Lass. Since she benefits from a solid family base of her own, I trust she doesn't feel slighted but appreciates the unique relationship between parent and progeny.

No comments: