Sunday, September 6, 2009

Kitchen Tables

The most important thing about kitchen tables is not the food that gets put on them but the conversation that happens around them.

There's something about a group of people pulling chairs up to a kitchen table that generates camaraderie, remembrances, and just overall warm feelings.

Such has been the case this evening. College Dude, Language Lass, Motivated Mom, Queen Bee, and I were reliving experiences as varied as the flavors listed on the board of a Ben and Jerry's ice cream parlor.

We talked about College Dude's formative years, pets who have since departed, friends who we speak with less often than we'd like, movies we enjoyed.... the list goes on.

These are the kinds of discussions that warm the heart and make us glad for family. While such talks may move to other rooms in the house, it seems they invariably start in the kitchen.

Home may be where the heart is, but the kitchen table is where the pulse is found.

I learned tonight that in some ways this blog is a kitchen table for College Dude, a daily pulse check. I had no idea. In fact I am flabbergasted. I now find myself feeling guilty about my recent lack of consistency. I can think of no better impetus to get back on track.

No comments: