Monday, August 10, 2009

Lawn Rake

I was doing an internet search for the original inventor of the lawn rake so that I could curse the man's name. If the rake had never been invented, my neighbors wouldn't expect me to rake up grass trimmings on a day when the thermometer continued to hover at eighty-five degrees well past the dinner hour.

It turns out there all all kinds of patents out there. It turns out there are all kinds of names for the yard tool too: lawn rake, lawn debris collector, lawn working implement.

I was surprised to learn that the rake is considered to be only the metal or plastic tine assembly. To use the rake - well you need a handle for the manipulation of a lawn rake.

So I guess it's not the inventor of the rake I need to be disgusted with. Rather, I need to fault the guy who invented the handle. The lawn rake would have never sold through a first production run if folks had been forced to get down on their knees to use it.

Which makes me wonder... just exactly what did inventor #1 have in mind for his invention before inventor #2 came along and said you need to put a manipulator on that thing!

No comments: