Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Human Twist

My part time job involves standing on a concrete floor for extended hours. Despite new shoes and cushioned insoles, the standing is taking a toll on my joints. Or so I thought. A guy who specializes in deep tissue massage tells me that primary muscles tend to tense up after extended periods of standing.

I made an appointment to be loosened up.

I should have had the good sense to run from the room when the masseuse told me that if he did his job right I was in for an hour of hurting.

The session started off innocently enough with an aggressive kneading of my calf and thigh muscles. I thought I just might be able to doze off.

But my eyes popped wide open when I felt my leg muscles being stretched to the breaking point.

The last I checked, it's not natural for my foot to touch the small of my back - yet that is exactly what the masseuse was trying to accomplish.

The foot to back maneuver was followed by the introduction of a towel. No, not a warm compress, but a method of gaining additional leverage. Wrapping the towel around my left foot, the masseuse held the ends of the towel in both of his hands, moved to my right side, and leaned backward in an attempt to introduce my left foot to my right shoulder.

Pounding my hand on the cushioned table in submission I cried out Hey, I'm paying for this.

Yeah, the masseuse said, crazy isn't it?

No comments: