Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dog Roof

While out and about on the highways and biways today I noticed what looked like a periscope poking up through the opened sunroof of a sports car.

The oddly equipped car was approaching from the opposite direction. The vehicle made a left turn across my lane of travel about a block ahead of me. It was then I saw the ears flapping in the wind and realized it was not a periscope but the head of a dog sticking out of the sunroof.

Based on the markings and the size of the head, I figured the dog to be a beagle. There's no way a beagle is long enough to sit on the seat of a car and get its head through the sunroof. So the dog had to have been perched next to the headrest of one of the front seats in the car.

I didn't get a look at the driver of the car but I started wondering if the driver might be one of those vertically challenged people who can barely see over the steering wheel. Perhaps the dog was the driver's lookout. Perched on the back of the driver's seat, the dog could use its tail to thwack the driver in the side of the head when there was a potential hazard while barking in an attempt to clear the road.

Hmmm... I wonder what happens if a cat dashes across the street?

No comments: